by Larry Triplett
Did you know that May was Fitness Month? Human Resource Directors probably do. A healthy staff is an important objective for any company. It reduces absenteeism and keeps insurance costs under control. Productivity is improved. Here are a few ideas for encouraging your employees to get fit.
- Create a lunchtime walking club. Some companies have a designated area, while others let their staff find their way. Consider launching the program with appropriate promotional items, like mileage journals, imprinted pedometers, and the like.
- Provide “bike to work” incentives. Make sure employees have a good place to store and lock their bikes at work. Use cycling-related products like clip-on safety lights, bicycle seat covers and imprinted sports bottles to encourage participation.
- Partner with a local gym to offer employees a discount on membership. Offer a promotional gym bag as a gift for enrollment.
- Provide portable fitness equipment in the company break room – items like hand weights, stretch bands and yoga mats. These should all be imprinted to remind employees of the fitness program.
- Establish “get fit” awards and recognition, with various levels of incentives for achievement of goals throughout the year.